Suffering is an inevitable part of human life. Be it, man or woman, we all suffer. A lady who takes the legacy of a family ahead goes through a painful process-menstruation.
It can be really painful and uncomfortable but can be made better through certain changes in the lifestyle.
What causes the pain?
The pain is major because of the cramps during the periods. It can start a couple of days before periods start and sometimes continues throughout the periods. This happens because the uterus contracts to make the blood lining on its walls come off. It can lead to a throbbing pain in one’s lower belly.
The term used for the symptoms of periods is called Premenstrual Syndrome(PMS). The cause of this is the hormonal changes that take place during the menstrual cycle. The two major kinds of PMS symptoms are-
Physical symptoms are-
- Craving for certain foods like sweet delicacies and caffeine.
- Feeling bloated.
- Gaining a little weight.
- Skin problems like pimples.
- Cramps and pain in the belly.
Emotional Symptoms are-
- Feeling sad,depressed,tensed or anxious.
- Mood swings.
- Not feeling very social.
- Trouble falling asleep.
- How can one relieve the pain?
- Drinking at least six to eight glasses of water daily can help reduce the bloating effect. One should also avoid alcohol especially during periods as it promotes dehydration.
- Diet is the key as it can help combat inflammation. Foods like cherries,blueberries,tomatoes,fish are good choices. Calcium rich beans and green leafy vegetables can make up for a healthy ,balanced diet.
- Exercising regularly helps ease menstrual cramps.
- Using heat like soaking in a hot bath or using a heating pad, hot water bottle on your lower abdomen can reduce the menstrual pain.
- Medication only if the pain is quite severe .Medicines like ibuprofen(Advil), the legacycan be taken after consulting a doctor.
For Pre Menstrual Syndrome (PMS)-
- Aerobic exercises like walking,running,riding a bike, swimming or any activity that gets your heart rate up.
- Breathing exercises like meditation or yoga.
- Avoiding salt ,food items rich in sugar and alcohol.
- To get enough rest by sleeping everyday at the same time which helps to cope up with stress, mood swings, tiredness and fatigue.
- Use of hormonal birth control method like pills, patch, ring, implant after consulting one’s doctor.
- Herbal remedies are one the most natural ways to help relieve pain is using herbs like ginkgo, ginger ,evening primrose oil are very beneficial.
- Acupuncture treatment involves inserting sterilized stainless steel needles into the skin at specific points on the body.
This way a few changes in everyday life which can immensely help in relieving the physical and emotional pain caused due to periods.